Tuesday 11 September 2012

A New Year...

So, it’s the 10th September and time for me to move back to Plymouth for my third year (how did time go that fast?!).

After an amazing Summer (Ibiza, Woolacombe, Isles of Scilly, festival, friends, family, work, general fun!), it is time to get on with what will probably be the hardest year of my four year course. Almost as soon as I have settled in to University life again, I will be off to start my placement which will last until Christmas. It feels like I have only just finished my last placement, which was amazing, and so this upcoming one has a lot to beat!

Following the placement, I have my dissertation which just terrifies me! Where do I start? What do I focus on? So many questions flying through my head!

I’ve just moved in to my new house, with new housemates, in a new part of Plymouth – it feels like a proper fresh start. Living with girls is much more relaxing (so far!).

I have spent the day with Kelly, the President of the Plymouth  Education Society, of which I am the Secretary. We spent the day answering Fresher’s questions about the Society and the BEd course and it was great to meet such motivated people – I wish I was as motivated as them in my first year, although as Pete told me today: “You are a converted nail!” – based on his analogy that you are either a hammer (you do things) or you are a nail.

This made me think a fair bit – I definitely was a nail in my first year. I just coasted through the first 9 months, doing as little as possible to pass the year, and enjoying myself at the same time!

However, second year produced a whole new me and I ended up getting more involved than I thought I would ever be – talking in front of 300 people at BETT, organising a Teach Meet for PELeCON, making a Deaf Awareness DVD for Eggbuckland Vale Primary School, becoming the Secretary for the Plymouth Education Society, being interviewed for BETT radio… just to name a few!

This year looks set to be just as filled with opportunities for developing myself, mostly within the Education Society. We have lots of trips, socials and events planned and a great website to go with the Society.

I am currently helping to plan the Teach Meet for the SouthWest Learning and Technologies Conference, which I plan to host. This will help with the planning for the SEN Teach Meet hosted by the Education Society which I will also give a talk at.

I will be learning sign language after receiving a bursary from the University to do so, which has always been an interest of mine, and will be continuing with the 100WC which I really enjoyed being a part of last year.

So, with all the above, a long placement and a dissertation as well as trying to have a fairly normal student life, I have a pretty busy and exciting year ahead!





6 comments:

  1. Your enthusiasm is great. People say 'enjoy every minute' which, personally, I think is wasted and unfair advice (as humans we can't enjoy everything, right?). However, do LEARN FROM every minute and you'll go very far and be a great reflective teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to being a part of another exciting year. With all those unexpected things last year, who knows what the next 12 months have in store...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to find out Oliver! Bigger and better things hopefully (if possible!)

      Delete
  3. Hi Stuart,

    Thanks for your post. I actually think I do enjoy every minute - it might be hard work but I find it enjoyable - so I suppose I am in the right (future) profression!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the mention Amy!
    I learnt signing but sadly didn't practice so have forgotten most of it so do keep it up.
    Let me know if you would like me to join you for the TM or the conference.Love visiting Plymouth.Let's hope we can generate more folks to help with 100WC as well. Goodness, what a year ahead!

    Julia Skinner @theheadsoffice

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am actually thinking I may blog about my experiences with 100WC - I have learned a lot from it and it will also be something that our Education Society can show to new students that we will try to sign up.

    I absolutely love signing - I started a course a few years ago but moved and had to give it up. I have always remembered the alphabet though which will hopefully help!

    It would be great if you did want to come to either the TM or the conference. This is the website for the conference: http://southwestlearningtechnologiesconference.co.uk/

    I am helping with workshops throughout the day I think, and then have organised the TM . Then I have also organised the SEN TM for the Society in Plymouth. Busy busy!

    Amy :)

    ReplyDelete