Wednesday 14 December 2011

I Can Play the Ukulele!

I have a long list of things to do on my ’Bucket List’ – one being to learn an instrument. I played the piano when I was younger but stopped when we moved house and had to sell the piano.

As part of our non-core subjects this term I have been studying History, Religion and Music.

So, when in our third Music lesson, Bob, our lecturer instructed us to open a little cardboard box each, I was very excited to see that we would be learning to play the ukulele. From school experiences, I have seen children playing this instrument and was really impressed with their ability. 



I was sceptical as to how much we would be able to learn about how to play the ukulele in a two hour session, but by the end of it, we had written our own song and played popular songs such as “When the Saints” and “Jingle Bells”.

The great thing about the ukulele is that thousands of songs can be played with just three chords. We began by learning three simple chords and played these together to make a tune. We then found that we were picking up new chords and following the music as if we had been playing the instrument for weeks, rather than just the one hour!

When playing, it is easy to see why schools invest in the ukes – they are cheap (around £12-15) and easy to learn. Once a few chords are learned then full songs can be played.

I have asked for a Uke for Christmas and hopefully will enter the New Year with a few more chords under my belt and the ability to play more songs!

It would be interesting to hear from any other teachers to have experienced the use of ukuleles in schools and how it has benefited the school.

Maybe in a few months I’ll upload a video here of me playing! But for now, have a look at how good this 8 year old is!! ....


3 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, my year 4 class last year learned the 'uke', as they liked to call it, and really loved it. They entitled their end of year show, 'School of Uke.' I quite liked that. ;)

    I also wanted to leave you a comment as I saw your pres at TeachMeet BETT on Friday and thought you were great. I'm introducing Kodu to my digital leaders soon and your post on it and presentation were both useful intros for me. I presented for the first time on Friday too and it took me two and half years of teaching to get there so hats off to you. Will follow your blog with interest.

    Claire Lotriet
    www.clairelotriet.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claire,

    Thanks for the comment! I am attempting to learn the uke properly at the moment - I hope one day I'll be good enough to teach it!

    I'm glad you enjoyed my presentation - I also found yours very interesting! Interesting enough to snap me out of my shaking state that I had gotten myself in to after coming off the stage!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Uke is indeed a great instrument. I play the guitar so found it a bit more difficult to get used to the different tuning of a Uke but it is a really enjoyable instrument to play. First song I learnt was from the soundtrack of June. It's by a band called Antsy Pants and it's called I am a Vampire. I think the Uke would work better in primary school as I taught a guitar club on my last placement and had a lot of trouble with children who couldn't reach over the body of the guitar or their hands were too small for the neck.
    We learnt mainly songs that contained only 4 chords. I'd reccomend (basic versions of) Sweet Home Alabama, Sweet Child of Mine and other songs that aren't too hard to follow.
    If you're struggling to find a song look it up on ultimate-guitar.net to find the chords with the lyrics. Then use a ukulele website to find what the chords are.
    Keep going with it, it'll be worth it!
    Looking forward to seeing your vid!

    LukieJ

    ReplyDelete