Tuesday 6 December 2011

Re-booting a laptop

Homework from today’s ICT lesson with Ed was to write a quick blog post about what we did in the lesson – rebooting a laptop. This is something I knew nothing about – if I have a problem with my computer then it goes to something that knows that they are doing!

Working with Matt, Natalie and Chris, luckily two of them knew the basics of what we were doing so I learnt from them.

We were working with an Ergo Z91e laptop – very heavy! So, we turned on the laptop with the disc in and entered setup by pressing F2 and then changed the preferences on the laptop so that it would boot up from the disc.

We saved our changes and the laptop entered reboot mode. We followed the instructions on screen which took us to the normal Windows set-up mode which we completed.

Nat and I found the drivers on the Ergo website and we transferred these from our desktop computer to the laptop using a USB stick as we didn’t yet have internet on the laptop. We installed these drivers on to the laptop.

Ed had challenged us to play a YouTube video with pictures and sound so we then needed to connect to the internet. Everyone had problems with this for some reason so we used the wired connection. We updated our browser and then managed to get a YouTube video to work…. But without sound.

We hadn’t installed the sound driver so we re-did this and tried again and finally managed to play a video, with sound!

I wouldn’t be confident enough to do this on my own at the moment, but I feel confident enough to give it a go!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, Sounds interesting. Finding drivers like this is pretty tricky, have been there myself many times! What other things like this are you learning for this module?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was actually easy to find the drivers - quick Google search and they were there. We were in a rush so I think we just missed the sound driver because we weren't paying full attention!

    We have learnt quite a lot in this module - looked at ideas for a future learning space for children - not just using ICT, but design etc too.

    We've just worked with Ed to cost a wireless network for a school - something I hope I won't have to ever do as it seems a lot of pressure!

    We are in the middle of creating an online resource for the third years for next term to teach them about e-safety.

    My best part though has been using Kodu in schools - in fact, I may write a blog about it soon!

    It's been a good module.

    ReplyDelete