Thursday 23 February 2012

What Do People Think Of Me?

Pete started our ICT lecture asking us to write down how we think our course mates perceive us. We are all great friends and enjoy a lot of ‘banter’ and so I thought I knew what they would write about me, so my page looked like this:



I know that at 24, I am not old! However, as the oldest in the class they like to bring my age up as often as possible, so I thought this would get mentioned! I am a friendly person, and like to think that they see me as this, and I am pretty sure they see me as a hard worker, as I try to put my all in to each lesson, and they can see my blog and extra curricular activities.

We then had to go around the room and write down something on each other’s page, about how we perceive them. This was really interesting and I was expecting my page to look the same as I had written – “old, friendly and works hard”. I went around the room and it was interesting to see how people perceived each other.

Mine ended up being: 


As a future teacher, who is concerned about the way she comes across in a professional manner, I was pleased with the comments, although I couldn’t help think that actually, it made me come across as quite boring!

However, I agree with every comment! I am super organised, but like to think I am fun. I believe I am professional as I have taken on Pete’s comments over the past two years to change myself from having a ‘student presence’ online, to a ‘professional presence’. I work hard – I have a part-time job at the University and I take on as many extra-curricular activities as I can, from being elected as Secretary for the Plymouth Education Society, to taking part in the 1oo Word Challenge. I’m glad that my hard work does show to others!

I am a student, in my twenties and I do like a drink – I won’t deny that! I am determined, and I think this can be seen with how hard I work. I am really pleased that people think I am friendly and good to talk to, as this is how I try to be, but I am not surprised that I was told I am mature – probably too mature for my own good at times!

I liked the full of life comment as I try to be full of life and take every opportunity that comes my way, and its nice that someone thinks I am “really cool” but I’m sure this one isn’t true!

The point of these activities was for us to see how we perceive ourselves, and how people perceive us and how these are similar and how they differ. We then had to write a few words to describe how we want to be as a teacher:

As ‘Miss Parkin’ I want the children to see me as supportive and friendly; someone they can learn from, but who also makes learning fun and exciting, by creating memorable and new, creative lessons.

We then had to write down how we would like to be seen in the staff room, and which areas of ourselves we might need or want to ‘hide’ from our colleagues. 

Having worked full time since I was 17 until I started University, I know how important it is for your work colleagues to perceive you in a certain way, and that this isn’t necessarily the way that you are in your personal life. However, I have also made some of my best friends through work and this wouldn’t have happened had I not been myself.

Personally , I am a fairly sensible person, and I don’t think there is anything I would need to ‘hide’ from my colleagues in a professional environment. Saying this, I did put down that I would ‘hide’ liking a drink and how I can be opinionated. Although, I don’t see either of these things as bad qualities – I like to go out occasionally on weekends, and that is actually all I do at University – I’m not one for drinking three or four times a week, and so, I don’t think this is something that I would ‘hide’.

I do have opinions and I do like to share them, but again, I am a mature and sensible person and I know when it is a good time to share these opinions and when not to!

We then had to Google ourselves… we have had to do this before and Pete managed to find out the address of a girl in the class, and then found out the colour of her curtains by going on Google Maps, and so I was slightly worried about doing this! However, I was really pleased that all I found was:

Since beginning University, Pete has mentioned a few times about our internet presence and our digital footprint, and I have been working to make my personal accounts as private as possible, and create a professional internet presence for myself.

I was happy to find that my Twitter and blog were the main things I found about myself, and I didn’t find anything personal from a basic search of myself.

Again, being quite a sensible person, I would not put any pictures or comments of my personal Facebook page that I wouldn’t want to be found by a prospective employer. However, we see more and more often these days, the mistakes that people make in putting photos and comments on what they think are their private accounts, which eventually lead them to trouble.


When I started University, I had set my Facebook as private, but I had a personal Twitter page and I probably had photos that I wouldn’t want my boss to see. In these two years, I have dramatically changed and I now have deleted my personal Twitter, and I have my Facebook as private as can be. I have deleted any photos that I am not happy to have on my profile, and now the results when searching for my name are my professional Twitter and my blog, which I think is a great result to have!

Today really did make me think about my internet presence and made me consider my Facebook account more in depth – I have been considering deleting it for a while, with the only things keeping me there being the photos and the ability to create groups to help with my University work. I spoke to Pete about this and he suggested that I could have two accounts which is something I might look in to – a personal one, for photo sharing and staying in touch with family and friends that I don’t get to see very often, and a professional one for talking to colleagues and for helping with university work. I’m interested to know what others do.

I’m happy to say that my online presence is now mostly @amyparkinbed and I’m going to work my hardest to stay that way!

Following today’s seminar, I would be interested to know how people reading this, and who follow me on Twitter, perceive me, so please comment!



6 comments:

  1. Hi Amy

    It sounds like you had a great session today! What people wrote about you was lovely! Fold that piece of paper up and keep it with you. I know someone who did that and kept it with them for 25 years and shared it in a staff meeting. Even after 25 years, they still got emotional when reading it. The experience you have gained form being in employment makes you wise! You have a different angle of experience that will stay with you for a long time. Most teachers leave school, go to a bigger school, an even bigger school, then an even bigger school, then teach in a small school. Value that experience from employment that you have! People will be seeking advice from it at some point.

    A great post, thank you for sharing it!

    David Mitchell
    aka @DeputyMitchell

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a really interesting and useful session from the looks of it Amy. It is a great activity to do with children too. Sometimes what adults think of them is very far from their own self-portraits and they can make us re-evaluate our opinions!

    Julia (@theheadsoffice)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comment David.

    I will hold on to it - that's a good idea. My brother had something similar in his class when he was in Reception - the whole class had to contribute a sentence about why they liked him and it was made in to a poster and framed - he still has it now!

    I feel the same about my experience - I get frustrated quite often that I am going to university late on and wish I had gotten on with it at 18, but then remind myself that I can offer something different than those teachers who came straight from school to university - I think that is important.

    Thank

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment Julia.

    As I just mentioned to David - my brother had a similar activity when he was in Reception and he is now 21 and still has the comments! It was a great activity to do for our age but has definitely made me want to do it with children in the future also.

    Thanks

    Amy

    p.s. I'm really enjoying helping out with the 100WC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thoughful, verbose and an asset to any teaching team.

    ReplyDelete